Parent’s want to know: How can I be my child’s biggest cheerleader without setting them back? How do winning parents balance this delicate act, and increase success?
Here Are Some Tips to Help
- Make it about the star of the show. Many parents pressure children into activities they’ve always dreamed of pursuing, rather than asking the child’s preferences. Experts recommend supporting children athletes in sports they truly love, whether this means swimming or playing tennis. To add to this, children in middle school will have a good sense of likes and dislikes. Beyond this age range, it’s all fun and games so relax.
- The coach is an indispensable part of the equation, and parents should only attempt discussions during dedicated times. After the heat of the game, take a breath and keep questions for another day.
- Remember the referee is doing their job to the best of their ability and yelling simply throws everyone off, including your star athlete.
- Dressing for success in sports means wearing the proper gear and accessories. When your child looks great, their confidence improves dramatically. Swim team accessories and gear for instance, include the team’s color, goggles, arena swimwear and other recommendations by the coach.
- Parents should nourish their child athlete for victory on the field, and diet plans can be assessed with a nutritionist.
- Failing is a certainty – accept this. Early experiences in failure teach children how to cope in adulthood. While failing is inevitable, giving up is optional and this lesson lives with us for life.
To recap, ensure your star is comfortable with the sport, the gear and the messages you’re sending to them.
Take It from a Pro Mom
One of the biggest references in sports history for the idyllic pro parent is with Olympic champion Michael Phelps. The star swimmer has been seen time and again connecting with his mother, who watches and cheers eagerly on the sidelines. Books on how to win as an athlete’s parent are copious so explore these in a local library or online.
Extra Tip: To ensure the right fit, shop for customized swimwear at D&J Sports. For the best prices on a range of swimwear accessories and uniforms, contact D&J Sports. We carry swim polo shirts, swim team shirts, caps, goggles, bags and much more.